This week's Festival of Frugality is hosted by the Mrs. Micah blog. Savvy Frugality is once again featured, with its post on what a price book is and how it can save you money.

Other posts from this week's festival which I highly recommend:

Are you looking for alternatives to freecycle? Mel of Bean Sprouts has some listed. Apparently certain people have become disenchanted with it. The only problem I have with Freecyle in my area is that there are more people posting lists of free things they want than there are people listing things they are trying to give away.

Wenchypoo tells the story of a man who turned a $55,000 salary into a zero tax liability. You don't have to be a millionaire to take advantage of tax shelters.

Gibble at Gather Little by Little has a great list of free software you can use instead of buying name-brand products. I'm always looking for freeware versions of software, and this is a great list. I highly recommend the Avast! anti-virus program and Adaware anti-spyware program, both of which work great and are free.

Ana at DebtFREE-Revoltuion has discovered that crock pots can be really good for your budget. I agree. My only problem is my crock pot isn't big enough. I have to get a new one soon. It sure does save a lot of cooking time. I just come home from work and dinner is ready.

New Old-Fashioned Gal has a recipe for fantastic deep dish pizza dough. If you like to cook everything from scratch, this is great. I usually just get $5 pizza from Little Caesars. By the time I buy all the toppings I want for my pizza, Little Caesars is actually cheaper, and I don't have to cook it. I only have pizza twice a month. If you eat it more often, making it yourself is probably the way to go.

2 comments

  1. Anonymous // February 4, 2008 at 9:18 AM  

    Thanks for including me on this post!

    I have to say though, comparing homemade pizza to Little Caesars is not exactly fair. Homemade pizza tastes better than even the pizza at the gourmet pizza places (where it is at least $15 a pop in my area), and mine usually only runs me $2-3 per pizza (depending on toppings). This is a huge savings if I was going to order pizza for four or six people as I usually do.

  2. T // February 4, 2008 at 9:29 AM  

    Hi New Old-Fashioned Gal!

    Thanks for your comment! I agree that cooking from scratch is usually the way to go. It almost always tastes better. I was simply comparing my cost to the cost of buying from Little Caesars. I buy maybe one or two pizzas a month. For me, that costs $10. To buy the things I need to make crust, the cheese, the pepperoni would probably cost me just as much, if not more.

    By the way, my wife does make deep dish homemade pizza at home on occasion, and it is much better, although more labor intensive.

Related Posts with Thumbnails