I have mentioned before that Starbucks Coffee, like bottled water, is a blatant ripoff. You have to give it to Starbucks...they are marketing geniuses. They managed to convince an entire country, no...the world...that paying $4 for a cup of coffee is perfectly reasonable. I don't harbor any ill will toward Starbucks per se...just the idea of being grossly overcharged for something that I remember used to cost 50 cents...and I'm not THAT old.

Perhaps Starbucks read this article, or customers wised up to the fact they are overpaying for coffee, or the economy is taking a toll, or increased competition from places like McDonalds and Dunkin' Donuts has them rethinking their strategy, but Starbucks has recently started test marketing CHEAPER coffee.

The 8 oz cups cost $1, for drip coffee only...no lattes or espressos...and they are being test marketed in Seattle, for now. The deal even features free refills...just like the corner diner or truck stops.

With talk of an economic downturn and recession topping the news these days, it's probably a smart move for Starbucks to appeal to those who practice Savvy Frugality. $1 for a cup of coffee, with refills, is reasonable enough (although I still prefer to get mine from 7/11 if I'm out and about). Of course, it's still cheaper just to make your own coffee.

3 comments

  1. Anonymous // January 25, 2008 at 5:11 AM  

    It's probably cheaper to make coffee at home, but if I want an espresso, I have to go buy a machine to do that. I then have to perfect the art of making an espresso.

    I don't drink in Starbucks very often, because I prefer a smaller, local coffee shop, but there are some things I can only get from there. Sadly.

  2. T // January 25, 2008 at 8:41 AM  

    I like espresso, too...and it's not that difficult to make. You could probably find a reasonably priced machine on eBay and then make it yourself at home. It would still be cheaper than buying it at Starbucks if you have a regular habit of going there. I go to Starbucks maybe once every six months...and like you I do prefer to visit local coffee shops, but most of the time I drink coffee made at home.

    Is making coffee an "art"? I'm not so sure.

  3. Anonymous // January 26, 2008 at 6:34 PM  

    I don't know if it's an "art", as such, but more of a skill. I could sit at a piano and make noise, but someone trained could make music. So I drink mainly filter coffee, and only have a cappuccino when I go out. I probably could make them at home, but I just can't be bothered to learn how. :D

    I haven't been to Starbucks in nearly a year. I go with friends sometimes, when we're out shopping. And I always have a large (I can never remember the proper name...) Which Chocolate Mocha with cream. There are a scary amount of calories in it, but it's only an occasional treat.

Related Posts with Thumbnails