It's been awhile since I have reported my best buys of the week, mainly because I am saving money for an upcoming family vacation. I'll be flying to San Diego, which will be cheaper than driving.

Once we get to San Diego, we'll need a rental car. I had checked all of the usual discount travel sites, like Priceline, Hotwire, Expedia, but the cheapest rental I could find was $135 for a weekly rental. That's not bad, but I'm really on a budget.

I found my rental car quite by accident. I was browsing a web site about San Diego's Balboa Park, an entertainment center featuring a park, the San Diego Zoo and several museums. The site offers a two-day pass which gives you unlimited admission to all attractions except the zoo, which is a one-time only admission, but it still saves money. Then I noticed that the site also featured car and hotel reservation bookings. Out of curiosity, I typed in the dates I needed a rental car and it returned several options, including the price for an economy car: $108 for a weekly rental.

I booked it, of course. It was the absolute cheapest price I could find for a weekly car rental. It also taught me a lesson: when traveling, don't just rely on the major travel web sites for things like hotel and car rental reservations. Check out some of "local" sites of the places where you are traveling.

Last weekend, I found myself needing a haircut. As I mentioned before, my wife cuts my hair for me. However, our clippers finally bit the dust, and I was facing going to a barber for the first time in more than a year. I made a trip to Walmart to buy some dog food, but I decided to check and see if they had a good price on hair clippers. It turns out they did: Remington clippers for a mere $12. That was less than the cost of one trip to the barbers shop, and they should last us about a year or so (clippers have a short life for some reason). I usually get my hair cut once a month. Total savings over the course of the year: $180.

4 comments

  1. BeachNerd // October 12, 2007 at 6:16 PM  

    I spent about 60.00 on hair clippers from a shop that sells to hairdressers and barbers. That price seems steep, but I bought them when my son was 4. He is now 20 years old, and I still cut his hair.

  2. T // October 13, 2007 at 1:53 PM  

    That's a good point. Sometimes it pays to shell out a bit extra for a quality item so you don't have to replace it as often. Very frgual...and smart!

  3. BeachNerd // October 14, 2007 at 6:40 PM  

    Thank you. I love your blog by the way.

  4. T // October 17, 2007 at 11:32 PM  

    Thanks, beachnerd! I do enjoy writing it, and hopefully you and other readers find this information helpful.

Related Posts with Thumbnails