I don't usually pay much attention to infomercials or those "too good to be true" ads on TV, but lately there is one that has captured my attention...no, the attention of a nation. Not since Billy Mayes pitched Oxy Clean have we become so entranced with a TV commercial. Yes, I am talking about Vince, the ShamWow Guy.

If you haven't seen the commercial, and the only way you could have missed it is if you don't own a TV, Vince is the headset-wearing pitchman who is pitching what amounts to a rag (OK, it's a chamois). Not only that, but he's charging you $19.99 for it!

"You're spending 20 dollars a month on paper towels, so you're already throwing your money away," reasons Vince. Somehow I get the feeling I would be doing the same with ShamWow. Besides, who spends $20 a month on paper towels? How many spills can you have on one month?

Vince reminds me of the guys who were always getting me in trouble in high school, or in the Navy. He has that "c'mon, what's the worst that could happen?" vibe. Well, I could spend 20 bucks for a few flimsy towels, for starters.

Now, to be fair...I haven't actually tried the ShamWow. It could be an amazing product, but...I don't know. I already use something at home called rags. They were free, because they are actually old bath towels that I don't use for bathing anymore. Like the ShamWow, they are washable. But still, Vince makes a convincing case, and his commericial is quite smooth.

"This is in real time" says Vince, as he soaks up another spill. "Are you getting this, camera guy?" he adds, apparently unconcerned that he's not making any friends with the studio crew. I'm both mezmerized and terribly annoyed with Vince at this point.

Vince is destined to join the ranks of those TV pitchmen you just can't get out of your head, like Billy Mayes, Ron Popeil, and the British guy who was selling Chinese woks a few years ago.

The only "As Seen on TV" item I have purchased is the Debbie Myer's Green Bags, and I have been quite happy with them, although it is time to replace them. I did not buy them by calling a toll-free number and handing over my credit card number, however. I purchased them at the "As Seen on TV" store at the mall. I bought them because I saw them as a way of actually saving some money by avoiding spoiled produce, and they honestly do work. I don't see how Shamwow would do the same thing, but I guess I could be wrong. Has anyone purchased ShamWow? Does it work?

Come to think of it, I still haven't thought of a compelling reason to purchase Mighty Putty, either.

Savvy Frugality Recommended Reading: Vince The Shamwow Guy is Back!

18 comments

  1. Anonymous // September 9, 2008 at 9:50 PM  

    Our local tv news channel did a review of the ShamWow. The pretty much tried to duplicate what they do with it in the commericial and it did not live up to the hype. They gave it two thumbs down. I guess ShamWow is a sham.

    Billy Mayes also plugs a similar item in Zorbeez towels. Why does he need to always yell.

    I think I too will stick to my rag bag.

  2. Anonymous // September 9, 2008 at 9:53 PM  

    Pardon the typos:

    The = They
    commericial = commercial

    ...and whatever else is there. Too tired to even think.

  3. 4MyFun // September 12, 2008 at 8:14 PM  

    My father-in-law purchased this "thing". It is horrible. It looks like an oragne piece of felt. It does not do what they show on the commercial at all, and it falls apart in the washer. Or at least this is what happened with his.

    Saqve your money!

  4. Anonymous // September 26, 2008 at 11:31 PM  

    Vince is amazing. You don't even know. I have never used Shamwow, but still. Vince...

    VINCE! VINCE! VINCE! VINCE! VINCE! VINCE! VINCE! VINCE! VINCE! VINCE! VINCE! VINCE! VINCE! VINCE! VINCE! VINCE! VINCE! VINCE! VINCE! VINCE! VINCE! VINCE! VINCE! VINCE! VINCE! VINCE!

  5. Anonymous // October 27, 2008 at 2:33 PM  

    ""Are you getting this, camera guy?" he adds, apparently unconcerned that he's not making any friends with the studio crew."

    ...classic :D

  6. Anonymous // December 29, 2008 at 11:25 PM  

    I cant stand this "make money off of nothing" guy. Get a real job man....he is as bad as a minimum wage tellemarketer. Not to mention that he looks like a tard with though eyes. I think that he want to eat a ShamWow! Good job ScamWow!

  7. Karl Bakla // January 4, 2009 at 4:32 AM  

    I find Vince to be hot!!!

  8. Anonymous // January 6, 2009 at 9:46 PM  

    SHAMWOW has the word SHAM IN IT!

    but i love vince

  9. Anonymous // January 10, 2009 at 7:58 PM  

    Actually I bought these at Walgreens and they do work. so SHAM ON YOU Naysayers!

  10. Anonymous // January 11, 2009 at 2:42 PM  

    The "real time" and "cammera guy are you following me" are part of the product sham (poardon the pun).

    There are numerous camera cuts, which should convince anyone that the product will not live up to its hype.

  11. Anonymous // January 19, 2009 at 1:34 AM  

    shamwow is pretty good. i've only used it a few times and prefer my paper towels. but i was so allured by vince that i had to buy them...

  12. Anonymous // January 25, 2009 at 9:58 PM  

    I found the ShamWow guy mildly annoying until I saw his new commercial hawking that classic 'as seen on TV' product...a food chopper. Now I feel like I just wasn't getting the joke the first time. He slips in the new commercial "you're going to love my nuts"!

  13. Unknown // February 22, 2009 at 12:36 PM  

    vince is my idle i actualy tried to record his two commercials cuz there so awesome i dont give a crap about the product just hearing vince makes me wanna DANCE

  14. Anonymous // March 12, 2009 at 3:41 PM  

    Vince Offer is hilarious in these commercials. If you guys are taking it seriously, try to look at at it in a humorous light. How about the Slap Chop commercial? It's so funny when he throws the competitor's version over his shoulder into the sink behind him without looking. And how about when he says, "You're gonna love my nuts!" It's annoying, it's supposed to be annoying, that what makes it funny.

  15. Anonymous // March 27, 2009 at 7:46 PM  

    I heard Vince got arrested! Anyway, I love the guy, hate the products. He is in on the joke. In Slap Chop, he says "you know I can't do this all day". When he throws the other chopper over his shoulder and it lands in the sink, my kids go crazy. Vince is my hero...for now!

  16. Mr. Wizard Wow // March 29, 2009 at 12:15 AM  

    Vince has excellent technique! This guy is one of the best I've seen.

    How many people can sell over a million rags on TV?

    Vince...that's who!

  17. Anonymous // April 8, 2009 at 11:10 AM  

    I always thought of him as a Steve Buscemi wannabee....

  18. Anonymous // April 19, 2009 at 12:07 AM  

    If vince is so amazing WHY DID HE BEAT UP A HOOKER??? Look it up...not so amazing now eh?

Related Posts with Thumbnails