Free or Cheap Music

Posted by T | 12:42 AM | 0 comments »

I'm a big time music lover. I'm especially a big fan of '80s Hair Metal bands like Poison, Def Leppard and Whitesnake. There was a time when I would take my paychecks every two weeks and spend a significant portion of it on the latest releases on cassette (!). Yes, I guess I'm showing my age here, but I should point out I was one of the first in the U.S. to buy a new CD player, back when CDs cost about $30 each.

Now I have a family and bills to pay, so I don't have that kind of money to throw around on ITunes. Yes, I have graduated to an IPod Shuffle these days. But you can still enjoy music without taking a big hit to the pocketbook. Here are some of the ways I get cheap, or even free music (without illegally downloading it. That would be WRONG).

1. I listen to online radio. Yahoo has a great service called LaunchCast. There are premium services available, but I listen to the free version, which has ads. Hey, musicians have to make a living, too!

2. Napster. My son subscribes to this, but I listen to it, too. Gone are the days when Napster offered free pirated music. Now subscribers pay about $14.99 for unlimited downloads. You pay more if you actually burn your songs to a CD.

3. The local library. The public library in my town is awesome. If they don't have a CD you're looking for, they'll get it for you.

4. Radio. I'm not talking about XM or Sirius Satellite Radio...I'm talking about the good ol' free version which travels over the airwaves. There is still some good stuff out there, despite the consolidation of radio station ownership under corporate conglomerates which has stifled the creativity radio had in the past. Just my opinion. I usually listen to Jack FM, which has the '80s and '90s music I like, and they stream online, too!

0 comments

Related Posts with Thumbnails