I consider myself a romantic guy. I love my wife dearly. However, I have a confession to make: We don't celebrate Valentine's Day.

Oh, we do special things for each other, but we don't run out and buy the boxes of chocolates, flowers, gifts or make reservations at a restaurant. On Valentine's Day we leave notes for each other (one year I wrote mine on the bathroom mirror with soap), listen to our wedding song (Groovy Kind of Love by Phil Collins) and eat a meal at home by candle light.

It's not that we're cheap (but we are frugal). We just don't see the point. I don't need to spend five dollars on a card that my wife is only going to read once, and vice versa. I do like to give my wife flowers, but she has told me that it's a waste of money to spend so much money on something that will last only a few days and then die. Occasionally, we will buy gifts for each other on Valentine's Day, or maybe go to the movies, but that's about it.

We don't need Valentine's Day in order to show our appreciation for each other. We try to do that every day. The day that we consider special is our wedding anniversary, and that is the day on which we do something above and beyond the daily "I love you's".

Make no mistake. A lot of people are going to be spending a lot of money this Valentine's Day. We just won't be among them. Do you want to give your significant other something special for Valentine's Day? Treat them right every day, and don't let a day go by without telling them you love them.

By the way, my wife does read this blog, so this is for her:

"I love you!"

2 comments

  1. Jenn // February 15, 2009 at 5:16 PM  

    Amen. We agree completely.

    For your wife, I would suggest maybe one night surprising her with a small flowering plant. Our local grocery store is selling small flowering plants for $1.99. I bought one of those and put on my window sill. It gives me small color during this drab tie and last longer than a bouquet of flowers.

    Jenn in Michigan

  2. Unknown // February 14, 2011 at 12:07 PM  

    I totally agree with you. Love should not be just for valentine's day, that's why we don't celebrate it too :)

Related Posts with Thumbnails