I'm taking a day off from blogging today, but I'm pleased to announce Savvy Frugality's first-ever guest blogger: my wife! She explains how she makes gift card offers at one pharmacy chain work to her advantage:


As a self proclaimed coupon queen I’m always on the lookout for a bargain. Each week I search through the weekly ads for our local stores, and then match up the coupons that go with them. Sure it can be a pain in the butt, but you can’t beat that feeling of watching your grocery bill go from $100 down to $40 because of your coupon clipping.

Recently one of my favorite coupons came out… transfer any prescription to a CVS pharmacy from a competing pharmacy and get a free $30 gift card.

Being an unemployed domestic goddess, this is like free money to me. Every now and then I use these gift cards to buy my girlie things…you know, make up, body salts, etc… but this time around I had seven, yup seven prescriptions that I could transfer. However, there is a trick to this. You see CVS will only allow one coupon per person, per week, so I needed to be creative.

I contacted the closest store and had them transfer a prescription from my regular pharmacy, and then I asked them the price. To my shock and amazement the cost was more than five times as high as my regular pharmacy, so I asked them to match the price and they did.

Then I contacted another CVS and had them transfer my next prescription, and on and on and on, until all seven of my prescriptions had been transferred, and if my insurance didn’t cover the cost of the prescription, then I had them match the price of my regular pharmacy.

The best part was that once I got my initial $30 gift card, I could use it towards the cost of my next prescription. A few of the stores didn’t allow it. I think they weren’t sure whether or not it could be done, but several of them did allow it, and it saved me from having to spend the cash.

Since the coupons are good until October 27th, I plan on transferring them to a local grocery store out here that takes competitors’ coupons and getting some free groceries next month.

At the end of the day, I used about $10 worth of gas driving from CVS to CVS, but I got $210 worth of free gift cards. What did I do with it? Well, I didn’t think it would be cool for me to ask my husband for money to buy him a birthday gift, so HAPPY BIRTHDAY HONEY! You’re getting a gift from CVS!

1 comments

  1. Lily // January 6, 2009 at 3:40 PM  

    While you're checking prices, be sure to look at www.rxdrugcard.com. It's a prescription discount card that costs only $4.50 a month.

Related Posts with Thumbnails